Monday 13 February 2012

The Third Dimension



The LG Optimus 3D (Thrill 4G to our US cousins) was not a bad phone. Hell, I'll admit it. I actually got one. The tech world dismissed it's 3D capabilities as nothing more than a gimmick, which it undoubtedly was, however I've always felt that the feat of bringing dedicated 3D space to a mobile device had always been overlooked. I know that HTC also brought out their EVO 3D but on that device the 3D functionality always seemed a lot more tacked on than it did on the Optimus 3D, not to mention the 3D itslef was of poorer quality.

I've always felt LG have received pretty rough treatment from the mobile press. They may not be as flashy as Apple or Samsung but where others see 'Generic' I see 'Subtlety.' The company has never shied away from heavy hitting devices and has kept their high-end hardware consistently up to date and exciting (if not always perhaps aesthetically pleasing.) Perhaps this is why the Optimus 3D was overlooked. Perhaps people simply saw the name LG and never really got excited about the prospect. Or maybe it's the simple fact that with all the 3D films and 3D TV's being released, the world is suffering from overexposure to the third dimension.

The whole 3D movement has become synonymous with a tacky add-on and perhaps for people to see it as anything more on mobile devices it would take a company like Apple, instead of LG or even HTC to pioneer the idea. I say Apple because the media and consumer alike seem to genuinely believe it every time the folks down at Cupertino tell them that they're revolutionizing the entire technological infrastructure…again. If Apple had started the 3D bandwagon on mobile phones, the landscape of mobile 3D might be very different today.

Apple's 3D tech
That said, looky here. It seems Apple have filed a patent for their variant on mobile 3D technology and wouldn't you know it, they've invented 3D! Well apparently it's a new kind of 3D tech that is capable of gauging depth and displaying a 3D environment based on the user's eye movement. This apparently will also lend itself to the actual UI.

Now believe it or not I have nothing against Apple themselves and I applaud advancement and progression and feel they genuinely do innovate with the majority of their products. My gripe is with the public perception of Apple as saviors of techdom but I'll get into that another time. All I'm saying is that if when Apple do 3D, everybody starts raving about how it's the greatest thing since Natalie Portman I will be a very unhappy individual.
LG Optimus 3D 2

For those of you still interested in the good old fashioned parallax-barrier 3D display however, shots have indeed been leaked detailing the LG Optimus 3D 2. The chassis is reported to be a mere 9.8mm thin. I personally had no problem with the original Optimus 3D's size as I appreciate a bit of heft to my devices (It makes me feel like it wont snap in half if I look at it the wrong way) but I'm sure there are those of you that will adore this change. The display is also rumored to be a high-resolution IPS-LCD. My guess is the device will make it's official debut at MWC at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment