Monday 5 March 2012

Barcelona Blues

Happy Monday my fellow freaks and geeks! Now before we get started, I would like to thank those kind few who people who actually emailed me (I know, right!) in regard to the blog.

It's the first whiff of correspondence I've had since I began writing this thing all those weeks ago, and although I'm certain that each of you is likely suffering from an incredibly intrusive malignant brain tumour bearing down upon the fragile layers of your cerebral cortex thus causing you to make so obvious an error in judgement and actually praise the "work" I've been doing I am nonetheless extremely grateful. Please people, continue to get in touch and I promise to answer each email personally…and leave comments damn it. Oh and to answer Jo from Montreal Canada's question; Sorry, I don't blog on weekends. Now down to business...

Mobile World Congress 2012 has at last come to an end, with everybody who's anybody in the smartphone world finally reaching under the bed for the crusty rolled up sock after having effectively blown their proverbial loads all over Barcelona.

What do I think of this year's hottest mobile trade show?..…..meh *shrugs shoulders.* 

It was alright I guess but despite the surplus of devices unveiled it simply failed to excite me to the same degree CES did earlier in the calendar. I don't actually know why this is. On paper we got some great devices. We saw a lot of quad core stuff (although if you've read my early post you'll know that my excitement is significantly tempered when it comes to that particular trend) and the Nokia 808 Pureview really is an interesting concept, despite its inexplicable use of the Symbian operating system. But even so, I simply feel disappointed with the overall fare. 
Perhaps it was due to the lack of established big name hitters such as the Galaxy SIII or maybe it is just my unrepentant vitriol to the notion that quad core processors are the solution to problems that run a hell of a lot deeper than speed and performance. Who knows? Maybe I just need to get my hands on one of these bad boys to have all my fears put to bed and shake the apathy from my bones. Actually thinking about it the HTC One X looks like it could be a huge leap in the right direction for the Taiwanese giants, providing they stick to their new manifesto and promise to release less than 18 bajillion phones every quarter. I know there’s also been a lot of love for Sony’s new Xperia range which many of you consider to be underrated (although I consider it quite suitably ‘rated’) and I think like seven of you are actually excited by yet another year of LG’s hollow chest pounding but aside from that I’ve found the feedback to be a very mixed bag indeed.

Am I being too cynical? What were your opinions on the show this year? Was the crusty sock joke too far? Feel free to let me have it in the comments.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment