Tuesday 3 July 2012

It’s the most wonderful tiiiiime of the year!.....sort of


It's been years since I've had that 'Christmas Eve' feeling. You know that build up of anticipation so mammoth that you almost feel constipated with joy, a wondrous and…disturbing sensation. You know when you’re so eager to rip the wrapping off of your presents like some kind of rabid, angry badger that you inadvertently take your first foray into field of Stasis research by attempting to fall asleep at 3pm so that you might wake up at 9 the next morning and successfully have cheated both time and space. Those were the days.

As I said it’s been a while since I experienced that feeling, however after watching a video by MKBHD (check out this dude’s Youtube Channel. Seriously. He is on point) showing off the latest features of Android 4.1 Jellybean, that familiar sensation of orgasmic relief/lead pipe to the sternum returned and nestled itself firmly in the pit of my gut.

I sat, wide-eyed at my computer, a drooling idiot so fascinated by what he was seeing that all other sensory functions simply ceased. It was like the first time I saw the Matrix or that video with the Chimpanzee riding on a segway.

Project Butter; a concept, surely inconceivable on an Android device! But wait. No. There it is. Fluidity. Smoothness. Grace.

Google Search; a voice activated search engine that whilst being less conversational, is faster, more intuitive and more natural in it’s robotic vocal tones than Siri and unceremoniously dumps all over S Voice.

Google Now; a set of cards riddled with independently gathered information about YOU that is so eerily perceptive it would have George Orwell spinning in his urn!

Also there’s more. Little things. Flashes of brilliances and fine tuning. Needless to say I needed Android 4.1 Jellybean and I needed it yesterday! Without a moments hesitation I broke the vow that I swore never to unlock the bootloader and root my Galaxy Nexus and went about flashing the leaked Jellybean ROM to my device and suddenly, it all made sense. It all became clear.

I finally understood why in 1965, a little known rock outfit called the Rolling Stones (you’ve probably never heard of them) were unable to ‘get no satisfaction.’ Because back then, there was no Android 4.1 Jellybean!

In my opinion this update, although seemingly incremental, is the most important in the history of the Google OS. Android now matches iOS for both fluidity and functionality and pretty much surpasses it in all other areas save perhaps for ease of use and the app store, and in regards to the latter, it’s gaining, and quickly.

4.1 Jellybean is a joy to use and it has granted new life to my Nexus whilst at the same time reinforcing the fact that the Nexus line is the most future proof of all Android devices. Instant updates as they are released by Google are something that, for me at least, beats out the likes of quad core processors and beats audio.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus coupled with Android 4.1 Jellybean easily makes for the best device I’ve ever used and one that I plan to enjoy until I get an almightly hankering for a slice of Key Lime Pie!

 Jellybean will be officially be rolling out for the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S and Motorola Xoom (Uhm..okay) in mid July. You can also grab the brand new Nexus 7 tablet now and experience the awesome sexytime of it all for yourself.

Until next time. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment