Wednesday 29 February 2012

Picture Perfect

41 Megapixels! 41! Megapixels! 41 Mega….I could go on but I won't. It seems a new benchmark has been set for mobile phone camera technology for Finnish giants Nokia have indeed revealed the Nokia 808 Pureview, one of the last smartphones that will be running the veteran Symbian OS.

Now if I'm honest I'm not particularly one for happy-snapping on my mobile phone. Unlike the majority of girls I know, I don't take nine thousand and seven pictures every time I go to the pub on a Saturday (despite it being the same pub and my company consisting of the same congregation booze-addled morons) so that I can upload them onto Facebook and tag each one with disturbingly inane bylines such as 'Look at Gemma flashing her underwear. She's so mental lool.' I'm just not that guy.

But despite this obvious contemptible idiosyncrasy, even I can see that a whopping 41 Megapixels housed in the bosom of my phone is nothing to scoff at. Now unfortunately as nobody reads this blog (I think my mother actually clicked on a link I sent her once but soon lost interest in the endeavor when she found it was in fact penned by her "Timewaster" of a son) there's no chance of me being invited to an event as prestigious as Mobile World Congress. I don't think I'd fit in much anyhow. I'd likely do something retarded like breathe on the back of Steve Ballmer's neck and cause convention-wide panic.

What was my point? Ah yes. My point being that as I'm not invited to these things I haven't had a chance to actually use the Nokia 808 Pureview but from what I've read it doesn't actually take 41 Megapixel images and has a maximum resolution of 38 Megapixels. How this doesn’t instead make it a 38 Megapixel camera I don't know but I'm sure one of you guys will let me know with extreme vitriol and the world noob thrown in for good measure…Oh wait that's right. No one reads this thing.

Anyway the camera all shoots video at 1080p and at 30/fps and it performs a little ditty called 'Oversampling' which works by shoving 7 pixels into one when selecting standard 5 or 8 Megapixel pics. I really do want to hear more about the phones 4-inch 640x360 inch screen to see if it does the 41…no wait…38 Megapixel pics justice. In the rest of the device you'll find a 1.3GHz single-core processor, 512 MB of RAM, 16GB of storage, NFC and a 1,400mAh battery. All of that should suffice considering it's a Symbian device.

Well it's good to see Symbian going out with quite the bang indeed. Will I be picking up one of these bad boys? Almost certainly not but nonetheless I appreciate the leap forward in camera tech. Besides, the majority of my friends are hideously repellant so it's probably better for the world that I keep all pics taken of them within the 5 Megapixel range.

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment