Thursday 6 September 2012

Windows Phone Gr8!!

Yesterday I subjected my patience and calm to the internet equivalent of Chinese water torture by sitting through an interminable live stream of Nokia’s highly anticipated Windows Phone 8 line up debut. Was it worth all the buffering, page refreshing and stop-starting?

In a word. 

F*CK YEAH! 

Okay, two words.

So there I was, at my desk at work, past the point of caring whether or not my supervisor could see my screen or not and strapping myself in for what turned out to be an even more exciting product reveal than I expected. Stephen Elop and crew really showed their ambition with this one and it does seem as if the Nokia/Microsoft partnership may just bear some sophisticated and highly profitable fruit.

Nokia debuted both the Lumia 820 and the Lumia 920 as expected, and my, what pretty devices, the 920 in particular. Gotta say. Loving the yellow guys. Luh-ving the yellow!

The Lumia 920 sports a  4.5 inch HD+ curved glass display with a resolution of 768 x 1280 (They’re calling it PureMotion HD+…because they can I guess), a 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual core processor, a 2000 mAh battery, an 8 megapixel Pureview shooter, wireless charging and without a doubt most importantly of all, GLOVE COMPATIBILITY BITCHES!!

Dude this is huge for me! A major pet peeve of mine in regards to touchscreens in general was the need to remove your pinky from the snugness of a glove as blistering winds howled down from the mountain-tops and licked your flesh with the promise of frostbite just so you could cut the goddamn rope! Okay so there may not be any mountains in London but you get where I’m coming from. It’s a wonderful innovation and one that I assumed would have simply been overlooked. I guess that’s why they make the tech and I write the blog.

All in all it was a great day for Nokia, Microsoft and Windows Phone 8. My only real criticism with the event was the complete lack of an ETA and pricing for the devices. It kind of makes the entire reveal a little redundant as it serves to illustrate a lack of intent from a company supposedly committed to taking a final stab at the mobile market and developing a global fan base of loyal consumers.

Nevertheless, Nokia have revealed two great flagship devices that could see them catapult to the top of an ever more competitive market. Will the timing of the announcement prove controversial considering those other guys are set to strut their stuff next week. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Sayōnara

No comments:

Post a Comment